Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

About to enter into a relationship with a woman that is

Customer Question

About to enter into a relationship with a woman that is diagnosed immunosuppressed because of her arthritis. The medicine she takes is remicade. She requested that I get tested to make sure I am completely healthy, meaning no std's. Made an appointment to see a doctor this Wednesday. However, I am concerned that in the past, I was diagnosed with having Herpes Level I (above the waist herpes). Am afraid that I could make my friend sick with my condition. It was explained to me that I can only pass it on if I have cold sores or fever blisters. Is this last statement correct? Is this true for people not immunosuppressed? Looking for advice.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

HSV 1 is the cold sore virus. 90 percent of adults will test positive to antibodies present to this virus. It is possible to have viral activation just prior to onset of cold sores. So not kissing when you might have a cold sore helps to reduce transmission -- Yes but even that is not 100 percent.Chances are that she may have had cold sores as well at some point in her past. If she has any outbreak she may want treatment with an antiviral such as Valtrex or Famvir. These are helpful to treat any cold sore outbreak . You having history of cold sores or HSV 1 should not be a " deal breaker" as to your relationship.

Her Remicade for her arthritis does attenuate her immune system. So she does in general need to be more vigilant as to infections in general.

I hope that this information is helpful for you.Let me know if you have further questions or concerns.I will be happy to get back with you.If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback.Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD