Dr.Amita
Dr.Amita, Doctor
Experience:  MD.Extensive knowledge of medicine.
20638885

I'm 29 and was recommended p arthroscopy surgery, other than

Customer Question

I'm 29 and was recommended for a hip arthroscopy surgery, other than a cam impingement I have a possible Laberal tear. Would I benefit from having the birmingham resurface done, or would the arthroscopy be my better choice?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 1 year ago.

Hello

I am Dr.Amita and I would be assisting you today.

I understand that you have had to wait to get an answer.I just logged in and saw your question and am answering it now.

Birmingham hip resurfacing is an excellent procedure for young patients who need a hip replacement.

But not all young patients are candidates for hip resurfacing operation.If your main complaints are a result of labrum tear or impingement rather than arthritis you would not benefit from hip resurfacing operation.

You are just 29 years old and as far as possible your original head and cartilage should be saved.Therefore arthroscopy should be first choice and arthroscopist can see the cartilage of hip and advise if hip resurfacing operation is needed.Hip resurfacing should be done only if the cartilage on surface of hip is badly damaged.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have had severe pain the past 2 years, and just within the past 2 months received a cane to assist me. Currently no matter what I do I have pain. Whether it be sitting, standing, laying in the bed. If I do an activity such as mow the yard, I am in even more pain for the next couple of days
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 1 year ago.

Hip could be painful with a torn labrum and damage to part of cartilage of hip.Therefore if joint space in hip is maintained on x ray arthroscopy should be done.

If joint space on x ray is decreased hip resurfacing should be done.