Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My blood pressure is 122/54, and pulse is 65. How do you

Customer Question

My blood pressure is 122/54, and pulse is 65. How do you think?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

The pulse of 65 is completely normal. A blood pressure of 122/54 is mostly normal and is only a potential issue because of the difference between the upper and lower number, which is referred to as the pulse pressure. The upper number, or systolic blood pressure, is fine, but the lower number, or diastolic blood pressure, is lower than the level that is usually seen when the upper number is *****

If there is any lightheadedness associated with this lower level of diastolic blood pressure, then it would be appropriate to try to increase this lower blood pressure, such as by drinking extra fluids to assure hydration. Anything that raises the diastolic blood pressure may also raise the systolic blood pressure, but it would not be considered too high unless it gets higher than 140-145.

An increase in the pulse pressure is also a risk factor for cardiovascular disease. The problem is that there are limited options that can lower the pulse pressure without also lowering the diastolic blood pressure further, so the usual intervention are lifestyle interventions, such as getting regular exercise and eating a healthy diet.

So, if you are not having any symptoms with this level of blood pressure, the usual approach would be lifestyle interventions. But if you are having any lightheadedness, it would be appropriate to be assuring good hydration as the first step.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, Dr.
I'm going to see my doctor soon.
I changed my mind, due to my trip.

You are welcome.