Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I was in a bad car accident on the job 3 hours from home, I

Customer Question

I was in a bad car accident on the job 3 hours from home, I was taken to the er via ambulance. I was confused dizzy, my head hurt, my hand was bruised and bleeding and and I had a stiff neck. I told the Dr. In the er all of this. They gave me a chest X-ray and an advil and said I did not have any broken bones then they sent me on my way. The car was totalled and all of the airbags deployed my eye glasses were knocked off my face in the accident by the airbags, I was driving...I spoke up and said I was very dizzy and nauseas and off balance to both nurses and the doctor. They treated me as if I was a being a pest and said it will go away and told me I could go back to work after seeing my regular doctor. They did not even wipe the blood off my hand or X-ray it or check my head at all I waited in the waiting room for 3 hours for a family member to pick me up. I have to get a work rental car should I be driving? What should I do?
Category: Medical
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was seeing wavy lines in my periferal vision and felt like the room was tilting. I am still very dizzy and feeling like I have been riding on an elevator.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

If you are having significant dizziness and unsteadiness associated with confusion and vision changes, it would be better to not be driving until you have a neurologic evaluation. From your description, it is surprising that there was not a neurologic evaluation as part of the ER evaluation. But since it was not done in the ER, it would be appropriate for you to contact your regular physician for an office visit. It also would be fine to be seen by a Neurologist, but it is usually difficult to get into a specialist office quickly, which is why your regular physician is usually a better first choice.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.

You are very welcome.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also was surprised that they were ignoring the fact that I clearly was struck in the head by something, I have a fat lip possibly from my braces, but I also have a cut on my left cheek, a cut on my left hand, welts/brusing on my legs and feet from the air bags that went off under the steering wheel as well as the one that went off from the steering wheel the one above the steering wheel and the side airbags accross the whole car. I also have a previously torn labral shoulder tear and my shoulder is definitely dislocated. I will absolutely follow up with my regular doctor. Thank you for your time.

You are welcome.