Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I had a very large and painful bowel movement a few days ago

Customer Question

I had a very large and painful bowel movement a few days ago and since then I am having profuse bleeding. Even when I sit down to urinate, when I get up the toilet water has a lot of blood in it. What should I do now? I have SLE Lupus also.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

Your history sounds that your bowel movement may have either ruptured a hemorrhoid or caused an anal fissure. I recommend that you consult a general surgeon to evaluate you for this. It is likely that you may be seen soon this week in office The surgeon may be able to identify the problem by a simple in office procedure of anoscopy . This is a short lighted scope that may be inserted in the anus and short way into rectum. Lower sources of bleeding may be identified in this way. A general surgeon would be the specialist that most often deals with the problems of an anal fissure or hemorrhoid bleeding.

If bleding is estimated as greater than 1/2 cup or darkens toilet so that the bottom may not be seen or if ongoing and not stopping then you should proceed to the ER.

I hope that this information is helpful for you Let me know if you have further questions or discussion I will be happy to get back with you If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD