Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

My best friend (female, 64, Caucasian, overweight) has been

Customer Question

My best friend (female, 64, Caucasian, overweight) has been suffering for years with skin that itches, she scratches even in sleep, open sores occur, and this is a vicious cycle. It has gotten so bad in recent months that sleep is difficult, all her clothes get stained with her blood, and now even showering is painful. (This is especially distressing as she values being clean.) Previously her dermatologist diagnosed her with a Latin phrase meaning itch of indeterminate origin and wrote a prescription for a topical ointment that cost way more than she could afford and didn't stop the itch. She is currently using coconut oil slathered on to minimize the itch and colloidal silver mist to keep down the infection. Most of the time she hurts too badly to put on anything that hugs her skin. Bras are out of the question. My husband's internet research sounded like her condition truly looks like pellagra. The dermatologist dismissed the idea with "that just doesn't happen in this country any more." Her skin does heal between new outbreaks but as one sore is healing, another is created. Have you any additional ideas?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

she could have psoriasis of the skin.

she should get another opinion from another dermatologist.

she should get a skin biopsy and blood work to check for psoriasis.

she might need stronger steroid creams.

there are also systemic therapy which could help such as Acitretin (Soriatane), Cyclosporine or Methotrexate

have you had a skin biopsy yet.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

has she had a skin biopsy yet?