Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

What are the term effects of overdosing on acetaminophen

Customer Question

What are the long term effects of overdosing on acetaminophen with exception to liver damage. After several years of no problems. Could the overedose cause muscle weakness severe enough that it could cause chronic back pain, weaken bones? What about a high CPK enzyme test. I am told that it is a marker for a sign of muscle damage. If high levels went back to normal after 4 days of an acute overdose. Could the levels rise on their own again causing muscle damage years after of having no problems?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

long term use of acetaminophen would not cause muscle weakness and back pain and weak bones.

long term use would not cause high cpk test

high cpk test can be seen in patients who have myositis or inflammation of the muscles.

this can come from autoimmune disorders if your body is making antibodies which are attacking the muscles and bones

I would ask your doctors to check for autoimmune disorders with blood test for ANA, ESR, C reactive protein levels and other autoimmune markers

you should ask to consult with a rheumatologist to get workup of your myositis

have you consulted with a rheumatology doctor yet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The overdose does not qualify as longterm OD, but a one-time situation resulting in being treated with Mucomyst. Tylenol is no longer taken but, ibuprofen.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
20 September 2015 10:41
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

I agree a one time over dose of tylenol would not qualify as longterm overdose

I dont' think a one time overdose of tylenol would be causing your symptoms

ask your doctors to check your blood for signs for autoimmune disorders

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com