Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Have there ever been cases of a married couple both gettting

Customer Question

have there ever been cases of a married couple both gettting non hodgkins lymphome
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Yes, there have been cases of non-Hodgkin lymphoma that have occurred in married couples, although it is rare.

To some extent, it would be expected to occur randomly. Since the lifetime risk of developing non-Hodgkin lymphoma is about 2%, then the likelihood that any couple might both get it would be expected in 4 of 10,000 couples. Although this is a low rate, in a country with many millions of couples, there would be many cases - about 400 examples for every million couples.

However, it is also recognized that there can be certain environmental risk factors for non-Hodgkin lymphoma, such as certain viral infections and exposure to certain chemicals, and couples would have an increased risk of being exposed to similar environmental risk factors. In medical literature, there have been reports of couples where both have been diagnosed with non-Hodgkin lymphoma in whom there was a search for common risk factors and none were found, but these couples could have simply been random occurrences, although it is also possible that there could be risk factors that we cannot identify at the time that the diagnosis is made.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.