Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

This question is about some -time "GERD" symptoms I have

Customer Question

This question is about some long-time "GERD" symptoms I have had. I've had these problems , which have largely centered around the feeling of shortness of breath, for the past 4-5 years. Lately, they appear to have become worse, with more of a bloated feeling in my stomach, and constant urges to belch burp, and also some pain. It hits me the worst at night when trying to sleep. Does seem to correlate to food intake, and incidentally almost any alcohol consumption and hangovers are now very horrible.
All of this has prompted me to finally see a GI doctor as of late. He did order and complete an endoscopy, which surprisingly came clean with only low grade evidence of acid reflux. Years prior to this, I've also had an abdominal ultrasound, abdominal MRI, echocardiogram, calcium scored CT scan, and more than one chest X-ray. All of these tests came back clear at the time they were done, with the exception of the ultrasound which showed a very slightly enlarged spleen.
I have a small palpable swelling on the left side of my abdomen, for which no doctor or test has been able to explain, and I've been told it is nothing/harmless. However, for a long time, I have had a lot of trouble when trying to sleep lying on my left side. At times , it seems to almost instantly amplify my symptoms, and I've long since believe I have something there pushing on me - perhaps even in my colon.
At this point , I'm really just trying to see if all of this misery could still just be a case of chronic GERD, and if so, how I might be able to remedy. I've been prescribed numerous GERD related medications, and none seem to have helped. In fact, the PPI drugs seem to make my problems worse. I will be going to the GI doctor soon for a followup. Is there anything I should ask about? Do I need a colonoscopy? Thanks for any help.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

excessive anxiety or asthma can also cause shortness of breath symptoms.

excessive anxiety can also cause upset stomcah.

you could be becoming more allergic to alcohol as you get older. alcohol dehydrogenase enzyme is what breaks down alcohol and for some people, it can get less and less, especially if you don't drink often.

you could be allergic to certain foods which can cause your symptoms.

certain foods like sodas, fried foods, oily foods, black pepper, spicy foods, tomato sauces, alcohol, can also worsen stomach acid production.

your stomach empties from your left to right side. so if your stomach is full of food, you should lie on your right side.

you should also avoid laying down within 2-3 hours after eating meals.

you should keep a food diary of what you eat to see if certain foods worsen your symptoms

let me know if you have questions.