Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I asked a medical question over an hour ago, and have heard

Customer Question

I asked a medical question over an hour ago, and have heard not a word in response. I also signed over my credit card to you and am still waiting. What is going on?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

it sounds like your wife's heart rate goes up and down and ranges over a wide range.

does she have symptoms from her low heart rate?

if she doesn't have symptoms of dizziness or lightheadedness, she may not need the pacemaker placed.

I would not do the pacemaker procedure unless she has symptoms of her heart rate.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Her gastroenterologist refused to go through with an endoscopy when her heartrate was 39 on the operating table. That was the lowest it was ever recorded. In the three weeks since then, it has ranged between 55 and 68 this morning. She does complain of feeling fatigued much of the time, although she has never fainted. We keep asking to talk to someone who has a heart pacemaker, and come up empty. Even people past 90 years old know of nobody with one! We are active in social circles and work out pretty regularly, and can find nobody who has one. I think we are being talked into an unnecessary procedure.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you guys ever intend to get back with me or is this all a big waste of time?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

you have to ask the cardiologist to refer you to a patient who has a pacemaker and is willing to talk to your and your wife

why does she need an endoscopy scope procedure?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Her gastroenterologist (and others) has found a Barrett's esophagus over the past few years. Something called a Halo procedure goes down into the esophagus and "reams" it out, destroying the reddish cell lining on its interior to try and head off cancer. He has performed this operation 3 times already this summer, and said she needed a 4th three weeks ago. After the IV was inserted and she was ready to go, the dr. refused at the last minute when her pulse dropped to 39. He said it must be higher before he goes through with the Halo. Even since coming home, my wife's pulse has ranged between 55 and 68. So why does she need this pacemaker? Try as we might, we cannot find a single other person who has one and that is what scares us. If they are so common, why can't we talk to someone who has one? We have been here a long time and have a wide circle of friends, ranging in age from 50 to 91. Absolutely nobody knows of one person who has a pacemaker! We are uneasy about all this.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

she could have problems with her AV node in her heart which helps regulate her heart rate.

if her heart rate has dropped down to 39 before a procedure, it could drop down again during an endoscopy and she could go into arrest with her heart not getting enough blood flow which can be dangerous during a procedure.

it sounds like she really needs the endoscopy

and therefore she needs the pacemaker.

ask the cardiologist to refer you to another patient of theirs who had problems with slow heart rate before and get a pacemaker.

I'm sure the cardiologist can get you to talk to another patient.

when is the next time you can talk to the cardiologist

you can call him or one of his nurses up by phone and see if they can reach out to one of their patients who can talk to you and your wife.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We cannot find one single person who has had this procedure done! If they are so common, why is is so hard to find someone who has had it implanted? I wonder if many people are scared off by the cost. I would have to teach full-time for one year as a high school science teacher to earn the cost of this one small device. That is one reason I am opposed to it. And what if it does not do what we expect it to do? At the very least, it had better increase my wife's energy level at least to the point where she can keep up with me, and I am 68 years old. Can we return it if we do not like it?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

the purpose of the pacemaker is to help pace her heart if her heart rate drops too low

and to shock her heart if her heart goes into abnormal heart rhythm.

it could save her life one day if she has an abnormal heart rhythm

the purpose of the pasemaker is not to give her more energy.

once it is put it, you can't return it.

her insurance company is going to pay for it.

if she doesn't get it, she can't get the upper endoscopy she needs to monitor her barretts esophagus.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com