Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

One time my wife's heartbeat was registered as 39. Since

Customer Question

One time my wife's heartbeat was registered as 39. Since then, it fluctuates between 55 and 64 beats per minute. Her cardiologist merely suggested the need for a pacemaker, and the doctor who would put it in also thinks she needs it. I feel she is being talked into something she doesn't really need, by people who will financially benefit if she goes through with it. She is 73 and in good health otherwise, doing an hour of aerobic classes with me 2 or 3 times a week and hiking in the mountains. The operation is scheduled for tomorrow, and as her husband of 30 years, I am against it. What is your opinion? Thank you!
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

I do share your concerns for this procedure.

If your wife does not experience any dizziness, shortness of breath or any other symptoms when the heart rate drops below 50 bpm, then pacemaker insertion is not absolutely necessary.

Also if your wife has her heart rate normally above 50 bpm most of the time, that also suggests she does not need pacemaker right now.

Pacemaker insertion is considered when heart rate drops below 40 bpm persistently causing significant symptoms.

Otherwise, this procedure is not needed.

Best wishes,

It was my pleasure to help you today.

If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).

Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!

This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/