Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

In the past I have had intermittent problems with plantar

Customer Question

Hello- In the past I have had intermittent problems with plantar fascititis. Again, this past Sunday- I suddently developed intense heel pain of my left foot. I started to soak my foot in cold icy water while sitting down at work to relieve the pain- but
that evening, I also noticed some lack of sensation in a small area of my heel. I realized this when I ran my foot across my carpet which is a loop texture- The texture seemed smoothe rather than coarse- I realized that I had some numbness in a small area
of the heel- I am worried and wondering if this is at all related to the plantar fascititis
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question.

Can you please let me know what your age and gender is?

Since how long are you having this problem?

Do you have any other medical problems?

Are you on any medications for this?

Have you ever been seen for your plantar faciitis for this particular problem?

Please let me know.

Kind regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am a 59 year old female. I am only taking multivitamins and Metformin (metformin is to PREVENT diabetes as I am overweight). I was concerned that maybe I became diabetic since my last HGBA1c was done in November of 2014 and that this weird sensation was some sort of neuropathy. I have had plantar fascitiis flare ups in the past- but not in over 5 years- I have an appt to see a podiatrist next week. The extreme pain in my heel started this past SUnday- it is getting better- but never had an area of numbness before- I am worried what this could be from
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My last HGBA1c was 5.7
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the additional information.

It would be very unlikely for the area of numbness to be related to your prediabetes. Even in the unlikely instance that you have developed diabetes, diabetic neuropathy would be unlikely to happen so quickly.

In my opinion the most likely cause of your numbness could be compression of the posterior tibial nerve which is what I would like to consider and rule out in your case.

For the plantar faciitis steroid shot in the plantar fascia may help with your symptoms which is what the podiatrist may consider.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Please rate me by clicking on one of the stars.

Kind regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does compression of hte posterior tibial nerve ever resolve itself? or is this numbness the way it's going to be forever?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

First of all the diagnosis needs to be confirmed with by doing a nerve conduction study if required.

Once confirmed then nerve decompression surgery may be required.

So you need to be seen first to be diagnosed and then proceed accordingly.

Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end.

Kind regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This all happened at the same time the plantar fascititis happened. How , if at all, are the two related?- Did the plantar fascitis somehow cause this numbness to happen?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

Yes compression of the nerves can happen due to inflammation associated with plantar faciitis and can lead to the symptoms that you are having.

I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the stars before we proceed.

Kind regards