Dr. Abid
Dr. Abid, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS(R)
16766337

I have been diagnosed with Eosinophilic Esophagitis. I have

Customer Question

I have been diagnosed with Eosinophilic Esophagitis. I have been unable to eat normal foods for over two weeks now due to swelling. I cannot eat solid foods. Today I had a drink of Gatorade and it went down and it was restricted. I swallowed another drink to try and force it down and I felt a large POP and the fluid went down, and then it felt like it popped again. Have I just perforated my esophagus?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abid replied 1 year ago.

Hi there ...

I just want to reassure you that you have not perforated the esophagus , perforation of esophagus is surgical emergency which need immediate surgical repair and patient cant be stable after rupture , shock and poor outcomes are more likely with it .

So you have not perforated but it is likely that you may have esophageal strictures which restricts fluids and food free entry .

I will suggest you to have Barium swallow to rule out esophageal issue .

Regards ***** ***** luck .

Please leave positive feedback for me .

Thanks .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that pop and feeling like it pushed something out and then back in shouldn't concern me? I have burning in my chest since it happened.
Expert:  Dr. Abid replied 1 year ago.

This is because of stricture and not perforation , as stricture and stuck down of food in food pipe is the reason of burning in chest .

You should get strong antacid along with Cap Omeprazole 20 mg once at bed time .

And get Barium swallow .

Good luck .

Please rate my answer as good service .

Thanks .

Expert:  Dr. Abid replied 1 year ago.

Are you there ...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am here. I live in rural Arkansas. I can't get a barium swallow study done here. I just want to make sure I am not experiencing something emergent. I am so weak from not eating and I am in a lot of pain.
Expert:  Dr. Abid replied 1 year ago.

This is because of strictures and inflammation as I already mentioned perforated esophagus is surgical emergency and patient cant tolerate that .

So get antacids and Omeprazole .

Regards .

If you have further quires let me know .