Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I take 100mg of metoprolol twice daily and 1000mg of

Customer Question

Hello. I take 100mg of metoprolol twice daily and 1000mg of metformin twice daily. I also take 100mg of januvia in the morning. I'm not sure but think I may have accidentally taken my evening dose of metoprolol and metformin twice tonight. Is this harmful or possibly dangerous? Does this increase my risk of lactic acidosis if it just happened this one time? Are there any other risks or possible side effects of taking an extra dose? Thanks.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

There is generally very little risk associated with taking a single extra dose of a medicine. The metoprolol will typically not be an issue unless you already have a borderline low blood pressure or pulse. Since we generally adjust the dose to achieve a controlled level of blood pressure, but not a borderline low blood pressure, it is usually not an issue.

An extra dose of metformin is also usually well tolerated in most people. There would be more of a concern for lactic acidosis in someone with poor kidney function, but in most people, a single extra dose of metformin is typically not an issue. There could be some stomach upset, but it would usually be otherwise well tolerated.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.