Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I stopped taking lexapro 10 mg a month ago and thought about

Customer Question

I stopped taking lexapro 10 mg a month ago and thought about going back on now. I think I have bad anxiety and feel nauseated all the time (probably due to anxiety). Should I go back on 10 mg or take 5 mg? Will it work fast to reduce my anxiety? I was on the 10 mg for 4-5 weeks. I had bad withdrawal symptoms after stopping cold turkey. Is it worth it to go back on?
Category: Medical
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm seeing a specialist in a few days but I'm taking zofran to cope with the bad nausea. Also have phenergan just in case but haven't used this yet.
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

The Lexapro may be helpful for anxiety disorders --- Yes to that ! It is an SSRI type antidepressant which affects serotonin levels in the central nervous system. This affect on serotonin can cause nausea as levels go up or down. You might try 5 to 7 days of 5mg dose then increase back to 10mg. That is usual start dose and most common dose. Other options may be considered for the treatment of your anxiety.

If nausea is caused by starting or stopping the Lexapro that side effect is usually one that settles down on regular daily dose

And would resolve in most cases In about a week or less.

I hope that this information is helpful for you.Let me know if you have further questions.I will be happy to get back with you.If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD