Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My husband received a heart transplant in 2010. He is

Customer Question

My husband received a heart transplant in 2010. He is meticulas about taking his meds. However, after taking his 2nd dose (720 mg) of myfortic at 6:00 PM today he accidently took a 3rd dose again at 11:00 PM this evening. He told me not to worry about it and went to bed. BUT, I am worried about it. Can some one help me with this please.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

It is generally not a problem that he has taken a single extra dose of the Myfortis. There is a small risk of side effects because of the higher dose, but the vast majority of individuals that tolerate the twice a day dose without side effects will also tolerate the single extra dose without side effects.

Of course, if he were to be taking an extra dose on multiple occasions, there will be more o f an accumulation of the drug, so it would be wise to avoid these accidental extra doses, but an occasional single extra dose is much less risky.

So, there is no reason for you to be worried about this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much Dr. Love. I appreciate your help and quick response.
Sincerely,
Bonnie K. Wilson

You are very welcome.