Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H,34 years of experience
15267045

I have an egg shaped lump on the inside of my left leg at

Customer Question

I have an egg shaped lump on the inside of my left leg at the knee area. No injuries. It is red area and warm.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer,

With these symptoms of swelling and redness, you must contact your doctor or visit the emergency to rule out deep vein thrombosis. Did you have any investigations done?

Your doctor will check you for signs of deep vein thrombosis. He/she may also ask about your medical history, medications you're taking, and things that put you at risk for a clot. An ultrasound is the most common investigation to confirm a diagnosis, and it uses sound waves to "see" the blood flow and reveal a clot.

Take care.

Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for requesting me to answer this query.The redness and warmth are indicative of an infectious process,this could be from a localised infection at the site of the lump or a more extensive lesion which is not fully visible.I would be prudent to consult your PCP/GP who can examine you and investigate you further.If there is no calf stiffness or pain,it is unlikely to be a deep vein thrombosis.You would probably need the lump to be investigated further by an X-ray or a scan .You will probably need antibiotics and analgesics aprt from any other trteatment which this would merit after a diagnosis has been made.