Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Dr love do you know about the v Rapid tests how accurate are

Customer Question

Dr love do you know about the Hiv Rapid tests how accurate are they
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

The rapid tests for HIV antibodies are very accurate with a sensitivity and specificity of 99.6 - 99.9%. The rapid test for the p24 antigen is newer and there are some reports of a lower accuracy of this component of the test. So if someone is early after a potential exposure, it may be better to avoid the rapid tests as the sole test. But if the test is to be repeated after an appropriate period of time, this will be corrected with the subsequent tests.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

so you are saying it's good for detecting an old Hiv infection not new if i WAS INFECTED BEFORE 2008 would the alere determine Hiv combo be positive I had no sex with any one since 2009 thank you . i also have another question for you in that matter

It would be at the above level of accuracy even at three months. It would certainly be that good for any infection that is several years old.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

so I tested negative on that on sept 4 and aug am i in the clear since i do not intend to go with any one . also will i test positive if i have advanced aids

Yes, you are in the clear. Yes, it would also detect advanced AIDS.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dr love the reason I AM WORRIED is because I had a BAD TOOTH PAIN IT WOULD NOT GO AWAY. Itested for a lot of things My cbc are all normal the only high was C-Reactive protein . I have High bp the normal is 4- 9 mine was 11 . also tested Positive with I band 41 I gg for lyme negative for A Na . and a lot of other Stuff is that mean my immune system is working ok . I am still suffering from a bad tooth pain will see my dentist again tomorrow is that C- Reactive Protein very high . thank you

The C-reactive protein is a non-specific test of inflammation, so it is not surprising that it is elevated in someone with a bad tooth. A value of 11 is only a mild elevation.

Whether the band is significant would involve review of the entire pattern.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I had Lyme years ago and was treated for it but it still positive so do you think my immune system is working ok / i AM NOT REALLY WORRIED ABOUT LYME i JUST WANT MY TOOTH PAIN TO GO AWAY i WENT TO THE EMERGANCY ROOM AND THEY GAVE ME ANTIBIOTIC but i am still hurting and i think it's in the nerve. it's throbbing and my jaw hurts and my face hurts on that side .

There is nothing in what you have told me that indicates that the immune system is not working.

There are many conditions that can cause tooth pain, and it is almost never because of a poor immune system without numerous other manifestations present.

If there is any clarification that would be helpful, please let me know. If I have answered your questions, please remember to provide a positive rating so that I am credited for assisting you.