DrHoellering
DrHoellering, Doctor
Experience:  Doctor of internal and general medicine self employed
61885400

What is the redness caused by around a varicose vein ulcer?

Customer Question

What is the redness caused by around a varicose vein ulcer? Grandma has poor circulation and therefore an ulcer which keeps opening and closing and sometimes it is fine but then sometimes it is inflamed I guess cause it is burning there at the site and
is red around. Is it inflammation? She uses a heparin ointment to put there and also some cold compress. She also takes Coumadin so hopefully that cover the basis for blood clots. But what is the redness? Why does it keep coming and going? Just bad circulation?
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrHoellering replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Yes, the redness is a sign of inflammation. It can be caused by bacterial infection. In that case the ulcer would smell badly or be covered with yellowish discharge. It can be caused by lack of oxygen, too. It is important to bandage the leg to accelerate the blood flow in the deeper veins and thus enable the arteries to bring fresh blood into the leg.

You don't have to fear clotting under this medication.

How is your grandma doing now?

You have read my answer but didn't give a positive rating yet. Is something still not clear? Feel free to ask!

Otherwise please hit the positive (hopefully excellent) feedback button for me, because only then I will receive credit for my help. Thank you!