Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I have been diagnosed with an elevated hemi-diaphram where

Customer Question

I have been diagnosed with an elevated hemi-diaphram where the right lung is not inflating. What does this mean? What is the treatment?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

The diaphragm contracts downward as part of normal respiratory movement. The phrenic nerve is the nerve that leads to contraction of the diaphragm. Paralysis of one half of the diaphragm leads to the elevation of the right hemi-diaphragm in your case.

This problem may not need treatment if your respiratory function is otherwise good. Some people may be asymptomatic.

In some cases the impairment may resolve on its own.

In patients with severe shortness of breath then surgical treatment can be of benefit. Stabilizing the diaphragm by surgical plication ...

I refer you also to website for further details on your condition....

http://medicine.medscape.com/article/298200-treatment#d9

I hope that this information is helpful for you.Let me know if you have further questions or discussion.I will be happy to get back with you.If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback.Thank You and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD