Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I recently had blood work done and my platlet counts were

Customer Question

I recently had blood work done and my platlet counts were elevated. On August 23rd it was 366 and when I got my blood tested again on September 8th and it was 421! What could cause an increase like this? I do have iron deficiency anemia from menstrual bleeding and I've had it for a few months now. The only thing I could think that is different of is about a week before my latest blood test where it was higher, I haven't been taking any iron supplements versus when it was lower I was taking them. Does this put me at an increased risk for blood clots or could it mean I potentially have one now or have one forming?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.

Hithere,

This isDr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I amhere to address your concerns and provide great service.

Increased platelet count is commonly with iron deficiency anemia.

Bone marrow produces lot of blood cells as response.

The platelet count also may go up as a result temporarily.

Another explanation, the nucleated immature red blood cells are often mistaken as platelets in the blood count causing false elevation of platelet.

The values are not concerning still.

You should start taking your iron supplements and you should see the values coming back to 'normal' as more red blood cells undergo maturation.

Best wishes,

It was my pleasure to help you today.

If I have answered all your questions, Please rate myresponse Excellent (click on the 5th star).

Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!

This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay but my platelet count from August was lower and my anemia was worse then compared to now so could it still raise like that? I'm just scared cause it increased 55 points in a matter of a few weeks. Further information I have from my most recent blood work is my TIBC: 485 UIBC: 460 Iron Serum: 25 Iron Saturation: 5 ESR: 55 WBC: 8.5 RBC: 4.42 Hemoglobin: 11 Hematocrit: 34.2 MCV: 77 MCH: 24.9 MCHC: 32.3 RDW: 17.6 Also my Ferritin is 11 when it was 12.6 on August 23rd. Could the decrease in the ferritin cause increased platelets?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.

Your iron saturation is low, TIBC high, ferritin also low-- very consistent with moderate iron deficiency.

As the anemia worsens, the platelet count also can rise further --a good sign suggesting your bone marrow is actively producing blood cells.

MCV, RDW, MCHC also consistent with iron deficiency related small sized red cells --often mistaken as platelets in automated blood counts.

Do not worry.

They will also improve over time with adequate iron supplementation.

Best wishes,

It was my pleasure to help you today.

This is the link to my profile:

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay so you think even though my iron is a little better not taking my supplements could cause the sudden increase in platelets? Also can iron deficiency anemia raise the ESR or sedimentation rate? I didn't have that tested in August so I don't know what it was before
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.

Yes that is correct .

Sed rate also can rise due to the iron deficiency anemia or even from recent menstruation.

Best wishes