Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have had reflux and no relief from antacids. Had endoscope

Customer Question

I have had reflux for months and no relief from antacids. Had endoscope with showed nothing significant. Had a manometry today which the doctor said showed mild Peristalsis but nothing significant. She asked if I had been tested for auto-immune diseases and I have had extensive blood tests in the past. Should I be concerned about this? I read scleroderma can cause this but she said she really did not see anything that looked like scleroderma.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

It is appropriate for you to be concerned enough to pursue evaluation to determine the nature of any autoimmune disease that may be present, but since it apparently is only causing reflux symptoms, it is unlikely that it is of a severity to be of concern beyond the proper evaluation and ongoing monitoring.

If initial blood tests do not indicate a specific autoimmune disease, the a more thorough evaluation for autoimmune disorders is usually better done by a Rheumatologist.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I was seen by a rheumatologist at a university hospital. He ran over 20 blood tests and checked nail bed folds and said all was normal. Could it be just GERD?

If the rheumatology evaluation was done within the last few years, then it does not need to be repeated, but if it has been a long time, then your doctor may recommend that it be repeated.

If an endoscope is completely normal, then it is less likely that it is due to reflux. However, the most sensitive test to look for reflux is a 24 hour esophageal pH probe, which is better at detecting small amounts of reflux.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I had a rheumatology evaluation 6 months ago. My endoscope showed acid reflux and mild esophagitis. can this be from stress?

If the evaluation was 6 months ago, it would generally not be repeated at this point.

I was only able to go by your original statement, when you said that the endoscope showed nothing significant.

Stress can make every disease worse.