Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

My mom is 80 and has been going through the process to have

Customer Question

My mom is 80 and has been going through the process to have medical help to release 10 pounds of feces that is impacted in her bowls. He bowls have now stopped working and this morning sent home to wait on a Baerian enema to work, but she has not had any relief for 20 plus days. The hospital keeps trying to find different avenues but says she possibly could need surgery. How do get the hospital to do it now verses later? Is there any programs that can step in and be an advocate for her to get help. She is in so much pain. My family are not assertive people and I need to find an agency that can speed it up so she can get relief Please can you help.
Renee. xxx-xxxxxxx
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question.

Sorry to hear about your mom.

I certainly do think that she does require the removal of impacted stool ASAP because she is suffering a lot as a result.

I would recommend consulting a colorectal surgeon or a proctologist to evaluate her.

There is something called as manual evacuation of the stool, which is done by the digit, but in her case she may require something more than that probably some procedure or surgery even.

So she certainly does need to have this taken care of sooner rather than later and I would recommend consulting a colorectal surgeon or a proctologist if you have not done so already.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Please rate me by clicking on one of the stars at your end.

Kind regards