DrHoellering
DrHoellering, Doctor
Experience:  Doctor of internal and general medicine self employed
61885400

I have a ping pong ball sized hard lump on my back along the

Customer Question

I have a ping pong ball sized hard lump on my back along the lower right side ribs. It does not hurt but does become uncomfortable. I first noticed it 2 weeks ago when I had sudden and sharp stabbing pain in the area. This pain lasted 2 days it hut to move at all and also to breath. The pain slowly faded but still noticeably. Before this sudden pain it was uncomfortable when sitting but I never thou much of it. A few days after the onset of pain is when I was rubbing my back in the same area when I noticed the lump. Exactly 1 week from the the onset I had another one just as sever. The lump is still there no pain when touched or pressed just uncomfortable. I find that when sitting I'll hold my right arm over my head it seems to be more comfortable. I've done this for a while not noticing the lump before. Its not a lump that protrudes much but if I bend you can see it some you can feel it more than see it ateast to me. Should I be concerned? I did have cancer 4 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrHoellering replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

the most probable diagnosis is lipoma, a benign tumor out of fat cells. This is a quite common tumor and becomes more probable when you can move the lump a bit. A lipoma is not hard as wood but softer. If you can't shove the lump for- and backwards, and if it is quite hard, you should be concerned.

The pain is caused by the pressure of the lump which irritates the skin nerves.

Anyhow you should see your doctor, because no doctor can make a diagnosis from the far (it is against the law, too). Please make it urgent if the lump is hard as wood and not movable.

I wish you the very best!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you it is hard as wood an not moveable. I thought the same.

Then you should be at your doctor's asap.

I keep my fingers crossed for you!

I thank you for a friendly rating for my quick help.

You have read my last answer but didn't give a positive rating yet. Is something still not clear? Feel free to ask!

Otherwise please hit the positive (hopefully excellent) feedback button for me, because only then I will receive credit for my help. Thank you!