Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I have been diagnosed with neuropathy in my feet now, I've

Customer Question

I have been diagnosed with neuropathy in my feet for 2yrs now, I've been prescribed numerous NSAIDs, Lyrica, Tramadol, etc. Nothing is effective when I need to walk more than 5-10 minutes. I feel uncomfortable asking my doctor for asking for something stronger, but I'd like to try something especially for more active days. Suggestions?
Thanks.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

The aspect that you describe of feeling WORSE with 5-10 minutes walking makes me wonder if you indeed have the right diagnosis. Peripheral neuropathy may tend to cause increased symptoms when you are quiet such as trying to relax and get to sleep. Pain such as legs and feet with increased time of exertion is more often a hallmark of peripheral vascular disease. ( This is impaired arterial blood flow to the legs)

You may benefit to have your leg circulation checked. It is also possible to have both problems of peripheral artery disease AND peripheral neuropathy.

The Lyrica plus Tramadol is appropriate treatment indicated for peripheral neuropathy.Peripheral neuropathy has many causes and at times a reversible cause may be found such as B12 deficiency for example.

Have you been evaluated by neurologist for possible causes?Are you diabetic?

If you have peripheral neuropathy then that may be a confirmed diagnosis with nerve conduction studies ...

You may have potential causes investigated as some causes may benefit from treatment such as B12 deficiency or cause by an autoimmune disease....so you might have benefit with PN to perhaps have further testing....

B vitamin supplementation may have nerve function benefit...

If peripheral vascular disease is part of cause of the leg or foot pain then this may benefit from strategies to improve circulation. Medication such as Pletal May be helpful...a graduated exercise program may be of benefit ....sometimes surgery to open more arterial circulation to legs such as stents of major arteries mat at times be indicated...

If you should need something stronger for pain you certainly May discuss thus with your doctor ...

A stronger pain reliever at least periodically May be of benefit ...

So I think your needs fall into several issues here that may be looked at simultaneously...

1) pain control

2) If peripheral neuropathy then further looking for cause may lead to more specific beneficial treatment for you...

3) possible diagnosis or overlap of peripheral artery disease should be considered by your doctor based on your pattern of increased pain with exertion....

I hope that this information is helpful for you.Let me know if you have further questions or discussion.I will be happy to get back with you.If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback.Thank You and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD