Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

I tested positive sickle cell trait and I'm pregnant with my

Customer Question

I tested positive for the sickle cell trait and I'm pregnant with my second child, my first child doesn't have sickle cell. The screening says the result is positive and ABN A and Reference range Negative and the status says F. Also says my prenatal screen blood group is B Positive. My hemoglobin result says 131 and reference range 115-155.000. my husband said he doesn't have the trait. Is this something I should be worried about? Will my unborn child develop sickle cell bc of my trait?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer,

Thanks for your question.

Basically the sickle cell gene is passed from generation to generation in a pattern of inheritance called autosomal recessive inheritance. To have an autosomal recessive disorder, one has to inherit two mutated genes, one from each parent. This means that to suffer from sickle cell disease both the mother and the father must pass on the defective form of the gene to a child. Hence you child will not develop sickle cell disease.

Please share the exact result of your screening tests. A scanned copy or pdf file will be better.

Thanks.