Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Is anal sex possible after having anastomosis of the sigmoid

Customer Question

is anal sex possible after having anastomosis of the sigmoid colon at the pelvic brim?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Yes, it is generally possible to have anal sex after an anastomosis of the sigmoid colon. It is appropriate to avoid sex immediately after surgery to allow the surgery to heal, usually 4-6 weeks. But once the surgery has healed, then anal sex can resume.

When there is surgery on the rectum or lower in the sigmoid colon, then there would be a greater concern about resuming anal sex, but surgery affecting the sigmoid colon at the pelvic brim is typically above the level that would be affected by anal sex.

It is always appropriate to discuss resumption of sexual activity after surgery with your doctor, as the surgeon would be better able to assure that the entirety of the surgery was above the level that could be affected by anal sex.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.

I have not heard back from my initial post. If I can provide any further information, please let me know.