Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

I am a 51 year old man who has some questions of concern. I

Customer Question

Hello! I am a 51 year old man who has some questions of concern. I have high blood pressure and upon a recent check up my doctor noted that I had high trigylcerides and cholesterol.She ordered and abdominal ultrasound as well as a HIDA scan to check my
gall bladder. I was told my pancreas, gall bladder and kidney were text book perfect, but I was noted as having a "fatty liver" my doctor mentioned "metabolic syndrome" She wanted to put me on statins, but I asked to try the 'natural route" by changing my
diet,quitting drinking and focusing more on cardio vascular exercise instead of lifting weights. Long story short in mid July I began taking fish oils, red yeast rice supplements as well CoQ10 with my prescribed metoropol and Lisinopril, I was was able to
loose 15 pounds and brought my blood pressure down from roughly the 150's-170's over high 80's to low 90's to 132/80. I was feeling great! Now however, I am noticing that I am having bouts of itching with hives> usuall at the tops of my feet to the front of
my shins. Some times I would have it on my hamstrings, I have noticed that at times my hands and forearms Itch. I suspected that maybe I am have an adverse reaction to maybe the supplements :Salmon fish oil, red yeast, rice with CoQ10and a folic acid supplement
or my new diet : lots of green ,leafy vegies : spinach,romaine, fresh fruits and veggies, beans and nuts, cut way back on animal protein .My mind also races to the fact that maybe I am having a liver or pancreas shut down and this itching is from the bilirubin
in my skin building up! My urine is light in color, almost clear, my skin and eyes are not jaundiced. I have a good appetite and have good energy. Since stopping the supplements( I am continuing to stay on my heart meds) I have noticed the frequency as well
as the intensity of the itching decreasing substantially and there are times when I have none at all. I saw my sister in law die from pancreatic cancer and I'm thinking the itching is from that or that my liver being "fatty" is shutting down and this is the
first sign. Any information will be greatly appreciated!!
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 1 year ago.

how long have you had the itching?

OK

Itching can be from

fatty liver

liver or kidney disease

polycythemia

iron deficiency

Allergy

Parasites

Hidden infection

B vitamin deficiencies

Neuropathy.

See your doctor about the itching.

OK, so that is an initial answer….

Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
could my liver/pancreas be shutting down? right now for the past hour or so, I feel fine. As I have noticed, the frequency,duration and intensity seemed to all have decreased .It used to wake me, not any more, and the itch is not as intense as it once was. But still think of my sister in law and her pancreatic issues

No

Nothing would be shutting down.

There is nothing wrong with your pancreas unless they saw that on a blood test.

OK, so that is an initial answer….

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
had complete blood work performed in early july .doc said pancreas and liver were working fine according to all tests. still trying to figure why I have itching sensations

There is a list above.

You have not been tested for all of that on routine blood work.

For example, the identification of parasites requires 3 to 5 stool samples collected at different times.

You will need your doctors exam, and your doctors lab orders to further investigate this.

please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.