Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My husband takes Modafinil at 200 mg he accidently to 600 mg

Customer Question

My husband takes Modafinil at 200 mg he accidently to 600 mg and I need to know if I should take him to the hospital
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

It is not necessary to take him to the hospital because of accidentally taking this dose. This dose is above the maximum recommended dose of 400 mg, but doses up to 1000 - 1200 mg daily for a few weeks have been given in clinical studies without any significant issues.

Of course, any drug can cause side effects, and certain side effects may warrant medical care, such as a significant allergy. However, if he is not having any symptoms, then he does not need to be seen. If he develops any symptoms as a side effect, then the nature of the symptoms would guide whether someone needs to be seen.

So, he does not need to be taken to the hospital, although if he develops side effects, then there should be some consideration of the symptoms.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.