Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I inhaled lots of rust dust, what should I do?

Customer Question

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to JA and im sorry to hear about your inhalation of rust.

Now the first thing is that you have been vomiting black/brown colored fluid, this is a very concerning point as this can indicate bleeding from the gastrointestional tract. Whenever bleeding is present inside the stomach and it stays there for a period of time, then it can change it's color to black or even dark brown. This is a very SERIOUS symptom and requires you to see the doctor urgently, secondly if you are passing black colored stools as well along with this, that can be another indicator of ongoing bleeding from the stomach. If there are symptoms like dizziness, lightheadedness as well as sweating, this could mean the bleeding is affecting your blood pressure and you will have to go to the ER as soon as possible.

Now while the discoloration can be due to swallowed rust particles but i wouldn't take a chance and attribute these symptoms to simply swallowing of rust until a complete medical evaluation is made.

Now inhalation of rust particles or iron oxide can lead to the development of a lung disease known as siderosis however it is usually a benign disease doesn't cause that many symptoms. But in your case since you have been spitting up blood and i believe that you might be coughing up blood as well, then this is straight indication that you need to be evaluated in a hospital setting. Its possible that the bleeding is due to damage to the lungs caused by the rust particles. Although the rust doesn't usually cause extensive damage to the lungs but its possible that it was mixed with some other chemical or irritant which is now causing the bleeding.

Its likely that you wont have any long term effects from this but its essential that a complete medical evaluation be done as soon as possible to rule out any long term effects or even any acute effects such as gastrointestinal tract bleeding or even bleeding from the lungs. My suggestion is that you should contact your doctor so that he can examine and if needed get a chest xray done to start with. If after an examination he does determine that you are bleeding from the stomach, then an endoscopy might be needed as well.

I would strongly suggest that you contact your doctor immediately or even go to a nearby hospital for evaluation.

I hope I have been helpful and this answers your query. Please remember to assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me for my time. You are free to ask follow-up questions thereafter at no charge although any bonuses would be appreciated J. Please allow up to 24 hours for a follow-up response if I am signed off.

If, for some reason, you are not satisfied with the answer, I would appreciate knowing why so that I can try to clear up any misunderstanding that may have taken place and still earn a positive rating from you. Finally, you may request me in the future by beginning the question with "THIS IS FOR Dr. Muneeb Ali".

Thank you for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I noticed the spit up with blood stopped, no lightheadedness, no more vomiting, I'm drinking some tea, lemons, and honey now...is that a good idea? I am going to do a chest x ray just to make sure...

Well if the vomiting has stopped and you aren't passing any black colored stool, then the tea shouldn't cause any harm. But i wouldn't go and eat really heavy food which contains a lot of fat etc until a medical exam.However if you have any sort of abdominal pain especially right under the ribs and that area is tender, then you should be taking anything until a medical exam. Also do see what color the stool is whenever you pass it, its important to know if it is actually blood which you vomited.

Getting the chest xray is a good idea to be safe. Its likely all of this was due to simply rust particles being expelled from the body via vomiting and coughing, but again the bleeding HAS to be excluded as a cause for your symptoms. That is why i suggested the clinical examination.

Thank you for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Doctor Ali! I appreciate your help very much. I will pay attention to my stool and follow up with my doctor. You following up gave me a peace of mind. I certainly will refer to you doc for any future concerns. Thanks again.

You're more than welcome, I hope you feel better soon and this turns out not to be anything serious. Best of Luck!!!

Thank you for using Just Answer.