Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I started having lower back pain on Wednesday night. I

Customer Question

I started having lower back pain on Wednesday night. I thought I was just stiff from studying most of the day and brushed it off. I woke up the next morning hurting a bit more. I have had bulging discs before, so I figured maybe it was them acting up. I saw my chiropractor on Friday morning. He said my lower back muscles were really tight. He adjusted me, used a cold therapy laser, and gave me some Biofreeze to roll on my back. He gave me stretches to do, and told me to keep an eye on it. My back felt awfully after work that day. I work at a desk for 10 hours a day. I came home and stretched and took some Aleve. I barely slept Friday night. I contacted an urgent care, and they said it seem like a muscle strain. They gave me some Naproxen and Cyclobenzaprine to take and said to monitor it. I slept decently, off and on. I had to work again today. My back was hurting pretty badly. Towards the middle of my day my back was hurting badly. I went and stretched, took the meds that were given to me, and rolled some Biofreeze on. The last three weeks of my shift were the worst. My back started to get numb on the left side, and there was pain at the base of my spine. I went and stretched well again, because I thought I was just stiff and used Biofreeze again. My back stayed numb. I am finally home and able to lay down, but there is still numbness in my back. When I lay flat on my back it feel like I'm laying on something in my lower back. My primary care doctor obviously won't be in tomorrow, plus, I have to work, so I wouldn't be able to go see her. Should I be at an ER tonight or am I worrying over nothing?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

Hi and thanks for the query.

As you mentioned you had bulging discs, there is a possibility that it protruded more by some movement of yours and now pressing on your nerves which caused your back muscles to be in real spasm and feeling numbness. I would suggest you must visit ER since your pain is not improving and you should not take numbness lightly. You should get strong painkillers in ER so that your muscular spasm could be relieved, so going to ER is best strategy at this point.

Please do leave a positive rating for the service.

Wish you good health.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Please do leave a positive rating.

Best wishes.