Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

Being a Hypochondriac and always worried about the worst

Customer Question

Being a Hypochondriac and always worried about the worst thing .... Doctor ..... do you think you didn't have enough information .... I don't want to be worried about a muscle disease ..... Did you need more information .... ??? Help me out here ... so
I don't freak out .... I think with the added information you could tell me otherwise .... Is that the case .... I don't want to focus on that .... or anything ,.. other than just a virus .... help me out here please ...
Category: Medical
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Maybe I didn't give you enough information .... Tell me that was the case .. if you think that was the case .... I don't want to get an Anxiety Attack over this .... Do you believe that with the more information I gave you that would cancel out a muscle disease ..... and it is just a virus ....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
today I feel better .....
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

Please explain your situation

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My Blood Pressure is Good ... Blood work is Good and No Fever ... but I am Achy all over and feel terrible .... And some of my joints ache ...It comes and goes and I get real nauseated and a stiff neck .... If that matters .....I get a Full Physical every year and I am Perfect .... Just got over a hernia operation in 3 moths ago ..... Work out 5 times a week .... My Blood work for the Hernia came back perfect ..... this just flared up 3 days ago and my doctor (which I am close to) didn't look at me .. but said over the phone ... You got a viral infection ,... so he says ....Its like you feel you have the flu ..... icky stomach ..... run down at times .... but No fever and vitals are good ....Being a Hypochondriac and always worried about the worst thing .... Doctor ..... do you think you didn't have enough information .... I don't want to be worried about a muscle disease ..... Did you need more information .... ??? Help me out here ... so I don't freak out .... I think with the added information you could tell me otherwise .... Is that the case .... I don't want to focus on that .... or anything ,.. other than just a virus .... help me out here please ...Maybe I didn't give you enough information .... Tell me that was the case .. if you think that was the case .... I don't want to get an Anxiety Attack over this .... Do you believe that with the more information I gave you that would cancel out a muscle disease ..... and it is just a virus ....And today I feel somewhat better .....
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

What treatment are you getting for hypochondriasis

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have some ... but I didn't want you to think it is a muscle disease ... ... and not a Muscle disease ..... because maybe I didn't give you enough info the first time we spoke ....
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

I don't think it is muscle disease at all.

And that would only be a concern if symptoms do not go away.

I am concerned that you need to get treatment for your anxiety.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The symptoms did go away ..... So tell me that would cancel out a muscle disease ....... and just be a virus ....As today I am significantly better .... With that being said do you believe it is muscle disease or Virus ....
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

If it is going away I think it was just a virus.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is Not a Muscle Disease ... Yes or No ???
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

Listen

I am going to be frank with you.

No one can tell you over the internet that you don't have any disease 100%.

We are not here to diagnose you, or treat you. That requires examination, then testing as indicated.

So, I don'[t think you have muscle disease as I have stated several times.

I am NOT going to give you a 100% answer...that is for your doctor to do. We do not replace your doctor.

That is stated very clearly on the site.

Just from what you have said, I think your doctor is completely correct, since your symptoms are going away.

I also think you need treatment for anxiety. That is a guess, because I can not examine you...but that is what I would recommend.

Please click a positive rating. That is the only way we can provide this service, positive ratings.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My doctor said you have a Viral Infection ... A Virus ....With that being said .....It is NOT a Muscle Disease .... ??
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

I have answered that question, and apparently you have two posts going.

See all of my answers.

Good luck.

Find me on a new post after rating positively here for new questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My doctor said you have a Viral Infection ... Its A Virus ....With that being said .....It is NOT a Muscle Disease .... ??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I meant to say ....My doctor said you have a Viral Infection ... A Virus ....With that being said .....It is NOT a Muscle Disease .... ??
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

A muscle disease would persist, not go away.

So as it goes away, you know it is not a muscle disease.

I still see no positive rating on any of my answers.

We are only paid by Just Answer PER positive rating and it is the only way we can offer this service.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
then it would have to be what My doctor told me ... I just have a Virus .... and it has to work its way out ...
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

It appears that Dr. Thomas has opted out of this question. One of the BEST medical tests is a test of TIME!! You state above that you have felt bad but this has been ONLY about three days ? Is that correct? A short term illness would indeed fit much more probably with a viral syndrome. Following your symptoms over time is a critical clue as to your cause. Your symptoms include nausea and thus so far would not strike me as fitting at all likelihood with a muscle type disease. I advise you to give this more time and follow up with your doctor if not improving within a few days..

This would cover your bases well. Such short term illness of a few days of feeling poorly does not usually show much value to work up extensively. If you have ongoing or other symptoms of concern then you may certainly follow up with your doctor this next week.

I hope that this is helpful for you.I hope that this helps to keep better perspective. It does you no favor to continually fear the worst !! Hang in there! I hope and expect that you will feel better soon!

Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My Blood Pressure is Good ... Blood work is Good and No Fever ... but I am Achy all over and feel terrible .... And some of my joints ache ...It comes and goes and I get real nauseated and a stiff neck .... If that matters .....I get a Full Physical every year and I am Perfect .... Just got over a hernia operation in 3 moths ago ..... Work out 5 times a week .... My Blood work for the Hernia came back perfect ..... this just flared up 3 days ago and my doctor (which I am close to) didn't look at me .. but said over the phone ... You got a viral infection ,... so he says ....Its like you feel you have the flu ..... icky stomach ..... run down at times .... but No fever and vitals are good .... I have had this for about 3-4 days nowAnd today I feel somewhat better .....I do work out 5 days a week and am quite strong....My doctor said you have a Viral Infection ... A Virus ....With that being said .....It is NOT a Muscle Disease .... ???... I just DONT want to worry about having a Muscle Disease ....

Hello again,

I see no reason for you to worry about a muscle disease. You are getting better so that is a reassuring point. Since you feel run down I would HOLD OFF a few more days before you try to resume your work outs. Give this more time and I think that you should feel steadily better. Most viral infections do not cause a fever in adults with some exceptions such as influenza.. Similar to the flu though there are MANY viral infections that we will tend to catch a few times per year and these just need to run their course. Most of these common viral infections ( Adenovirus or coxsakie virus family or others) do not have any antibiotic treatment available.. our immune system usually will take care of these within about a week. your symptom history fits with this as your probable cause. Your history is very suggestive of this and not likely anything of a chronic illness ( muscle disease or otherwise)

You are much a worrier but just be patient and give this time! Give your body a week here to recover! You should be feeling better as it sounds that you have already started to turn the corner here! Your doctor will check you I am sure if there is any need as we progress into this next week. I think that you will not need further check by your doctor. I would advise that you get back to feeling normal before restarting your exercise program >> give your body adequate recovery time..

And NO I do NOT think that you need to worry at all about a muscle disease!

I hope that this is helpful and that you feel better soon! Best Regards!

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dr. Bray,So then it would have to be what My doctor told me ... ... All I have is ..... I just have a Virus .... and it has to work its way out ...Just a Yes or No is Sufficient .....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dr Bray,
So then it would have to be what My doctor told me ... ... All I have is ..... I just have a Virus .... and it has to work its way out ...Just A Yes or No is Sufficient as You would believe

YES !!

I agree with your doctor's recommendation..

Take Care! Please remember to leave positive feedback if our discussion has been helpful! Thank You and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dr. Bray,What would Help me and put My Mind at ease would be this answer from you, only if you Believe this to be true ....Yes .... Just a Virus ..... Nothing More ....This Answer would help me ... But Only if You Believe it to be true .....Just like that Above and I Thank You in Advance,Blessings,
Michael

YES ... just a virus ... Nothing more!