How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. David Your Own Question
Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 45188
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. David is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

26 year old male. In good health (just recently had physical

Customer Question

26 year old male. In good health (just recently had physical 1.5 months ago with blood work etc). I run 5-7 miles per day (about 5/6 times per week, as well as lifting weights 3 times per week). My current profession is a police officer. I have always been into sports and working out, especially after playing sports in high school. Over the last 3 or 4 days, I have started to notice a weird feeling in my upper right back- it is hard to explain, it is like right below the shoulder blade/just above my rib cage. It seems to feel like a full feeling- it does not hurt, but it seems to be really annoying. It is not going on all the time, but just have never had this before. Also, I do feel a little bit of an annoying pain just below the shoulder blade. I really can't even say that it hurts, it is just something I'm not used to. I try not to worry about things but for some reason it is freaking me out. I just had a good friend diagnosed with cancer- he had been having back pains and they diagnosed him with a rare cancer and found a tumor in his back and he is having a 9-15 hour surgery to hopefully remove it. This has freaked me out a ton, and now I find myself googling things and thinking I have cancer or spinal cord cancer etc. Do you have any idea what this could be? Or anything at all. Should I go see a doctor and have a scan? I really can say the whole thing is more say annoying and it is not painful, just more sore and the fullness I have no idea wth it is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

I am a cancer doctor

cancer would be very unlikely

without examining you and doing some testing, it can be hard to know

could be a pinched nerve from your spine.

or irritation of your diaphram.

you should see your doctor if you are worried and get some testing

it may not be anything.

could be a mild viral infection or costocondritis inflammation of a rib or cartilage.

could be a pulled muscle from spots or running or lifting weights.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.


I disagree.

This pain is classic for gallstones.

That would be the first thing to think of.

You need an exam...for any new pain.

You need an ultrasound.

Get that today if you can.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

I am a double board certified US doctor.

I can answer further questions.

Please click a positive rating on my post if you appreciate my expertise.

I am here daily by request.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

gall stone pain usually causes pain in the right anterior abdomen below the ribs

that is the classic location of gall stone pain.

an abdominal ultrasound of the gall bladder is done through the front of the abdomen.

most gall stones would pass on their own and cause temporary pain.

fatty meals and alcohol use can also cause gall bladder inflammation.

but it doesn't sound like that is what is going on.