Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

I have had intermittent loose bowel movements past week. It

Customer Question

I have had intermittent loose bowel movements for the past week. It started last Wednesday with 2 bowel movements in the morning that were more loose than normal. The next day, I had one bowel movement in the morning that was watery. Over the weekend my bowel movements were better, but still a little more loose than normal. The last few days, my bowel movements start out solid and very normal and then are more loose at the end. Over the past week I have been going 1-3 times every morning. I know that some rumbling and gurgling is normal; however, during the past week, I have increased gurgling sounds. Before this happened, my bowels were solid and normal everyday.
My appetite is normal; no weight loss; no fever; no blood in the stool; activity level is normal. I have mild cramping right before I have a bowel movement and slight abdominal discomfort on the left side that comes and goes over the past week. There are no other symptoms. I feel fine except for the loose bowel movement every morning.
I saw the doctor today and she said that it is probably bacterial or viral; however, she doesn't want to put me on an antibiotic yet. She told me to take Imodium and wait it out.
How long do I wait? What should I eat or not eat? I am hungry all the time, but afraid that what I eat will aggravate my bowel and make the diarrhea worse.
I need a second opinion.
I have a history of high blood pressure, osteoarthritis, cervical disc herniation, gallbladder problems and I am menopausal. My last colonoscopy was March 2015. There was an area of focal erosion in the transverse colon but no polyps were found. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Focal erosion is not a diagnosis.

That should have been biopsied to see what was going on.

Your most likely diagnosis, however, is viral infection.

But, I would run three stool samples checking for parasites if this continues.

I would not start antibiotics until I had seen the results of these samples and one for bacterial cultures as well.

OK, so that is an initial answer….

Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.

The diet right now should be one of broths, and soft cooked vegetables.

Cooked apples are specific to diarrhea, as is cooked garlic.

I would not use immodium personally, I would use peptobismal.

It is a better all around over the counter treatment.

OK, so that is an initial answer….

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Regarding the colonoscopy that I had done in March, the surgeon took 5 biopsies from the area in question and the report of the biopsies came back multi focal erosion. There was also a suction polyp from the procedure and a hemorrhoid. I had a benign polyp removed from the transverse colon in 2010. The biopsies that I had done from the colonoscopy this year were located next to the area where I had the polyp but not in the same spot. There were no other polyps found in the colonoscopy from March of this year.

OK

More likely irritable bowel, or viral infection.

My recommendation for the stool testing is the same.

please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.