Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I am a 27 year old obese female and I... I am a 27 year old

Customer Question

I am a 27 year old obese female and I... I am a 27 year old obese female and I have had pitting edema in my shins and ankles for aboit two years. I have brought this up to my doctor on a few occasions, but she does not seem worried, saying that I likely
eat too much salt and have poor veins. My mother also has this problem and she is in her 60s. Another relative though, told me that this means that I have congestive heart failure. This doesn't sound right to me as I hike and walk everywhere with out getting
short of breath or anything. Still, she kind of freaked me out. Is whAt she is saying true?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

at your age of 27 having congestive heart failure would be very very very unlikely

it would be much more likely that your salt intake and poor veins are what is causing your pitting edema in your legs.

you should keep hiking and walking and cut your calories and diet and exercise to help you loose weight

you should be checked for polycystic ovarian syndrome which can cause weight gain

also you need your thyroid hormone levels checked. low thyroid hormones can make it hard to loose weight.