Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I have a question about my stool. Since this weekend I had

Customer Question

Hello, I have a question about my stool. Since this weekend I had diarrhea and thin stool. I do not feel nausea and I feel good. I do feel like I have lots of gas. Is this something to be worried about? Usually when I get diarrhea I get cramps or vomit
and usually its a virus. What worries me is that I don't have cramps and I feel fine but my stool is either thin or diarrhea.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

You describe very short term symptoms.It sounds only consistent with mild case of a gastroenteritis. It is not a worry that you are not worse !! Loose stool would transform to thin soft stool before watery diarrhea.So this seems very consistent with a milder gastroenteritis and I suspect that you are right as to this being a viral illness. I think that your pattern of BMs will normalize again with a few days .

So I think that you may benefit from a few days of PEPTO BISMOL maybe three doses a day for 4 days ( may cause a bit of a chalky black color transient to stool) If more watery diarrhea develops then increase PEPTO to one dose after each loose stool up to max of 8 doses per day for 5 days ..

I would advise light meals and bland type foods ( breads, rice , pasta (not with tomato sauce ) -- Apple sauce ...soups ...stay well hydrated -- Gatorade is excellent choice ...

I hope that this information is helpful for you.Let me know if you have further questions.I will be happy to get back with you.If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

No to reason to worry at this point

A probiotic may be helpful for you such as Activia as example or other

Product such as Gas-X may help reduce sense of bloating...