Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

My 7 year old daughter fell out of the back of a toy car and

Customer Question

my 7 year old daughter fell out of the back of a toy car and landed on the back side of her head...she does not complain of a headache, but keeps saying it just hurts. it happened about 1 hour ago and she is still weepy when talking abut it... she has not been dizzy or nauseated. there is a bit of a bump. should i ice it, give her advil?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

It sounds to be a moderate enegy injury that would be expected to bruise her scalp( not that you would see it below her hair) but should not be such that a skull fracture or internal bleeding would be likely at all. I think that Children's Tylenol may be helpful or as you have given her Advil should be ok. I would ask what type surface did she fall on? Hard floor or grass outside world carpet or cement as driveway ??

The softer the surface then that would be more assuring ..

About how far did she fall ?

It may be that she may have some swelling at the site of impact on the head. This would be expected.

I agree with cold pack to site ...ice pack for about 15 to 20 minutes

If she is able to be distracted and not crying as watching TV for example then that would be reassuring..

I agree that if she should develop nausea or concerning level of pain that is not readily distracted then she could be the checked at the ER..

At this time It does not sound that serious...

I hope that this information is helpful for you.Let me know if you have further questions or concerns.I will be happy to get back with you.If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She fell on cement maybe 2 feet...She has had some dinner and has been lounging watching tv. Complains of headache but not dizzy or nauseous at all. Will ice for 15-20 minutes before bed. Should I wake her every hour? She is a hard sleeper.

Hello again,

Cement of course is hard surface but 2 foot fall would not be expected to have enough of the energy to cause the more serious type injuries. I'm not surprised that she has some ongoing headache. I think that if she is seeming more OK as time passes and time for the ice pack and Tylenol and/or Advil that she should be fine. I would not try to awaken her during sleep... if there is concern as to any symptoms to that extent then best to proceed to ER but I do not think that this will be necessary ...

I hope that this is helpful . Let me know if you have further questions. Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you

You are very welcome!

Let me know if you have further concerns.

Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD