Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I am a 73 year old japanese woman. My blood pressure is

Customer Question

I am a 73 year old japanese woman. My blood pressure is rising constantly.
I am taking 16 mg of atacand and a 12.5mg water pill and a baby aspirin.
my blood pressure has been at noon 189/102 at 12 40 pm 193/113 at 4pm and it is now 196/117 my ears are ringing and I have a pain in the left side of my back. what should I do
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

You need follow up soon for this acceleration Of your high blood pressure.The Atacand dose may be increased for starters. Another class of medication may be added . The dose of Atacand may be doubled from what you take to 32/25 mg....a beta blocker or other class may be added. The possible reason behind the rise in blood pressure should be checked into. There might not be an identified cause. Your kidney function should be checked and blood flow of the kidneys checked for example . You should take care to eat low salt low sodium as this step may help....

In general high blood pressure is more of a long term problem to be controlled .Your blood pressure should be controlled to 135/85 on average ( SEATED after 10 minutes rest)

If you have certain symptoms such bad chest discomfort or shortness of breath then you would need to to the ER . If you feel ok without symptoms of concern you may double your Atacand dose and follow up with your doctor on Monday ...

If you have BP rising still to 2 readings more than 200/120 then go ahead to ER .One measure we might attribute to stress anxiety ....

You are very close to this level and it is fine if you are more comfotable in proceeding to the ER...

I hope that this information is helpful for you.Let me know if you have further questions.I will be happy to get back with you.If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback.Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD