Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

I just went to the hospital with severe based that started 5

Customer Question

I just went to the hospital with severe based that started 5 days ago then a full night of constant vometing they gave me a saline IV and chest,stomach xrays along with a urine sample.
They said that it was probably viral because my white blood count was not high...however I just reread my result and my white blood count was flagged at 16.4 and urine Squamous Epithelial cells were flagged at many. Important side note: I had been cleaning up a rat infestation in my garage earlier in the week. I wore gloves and bandana over my nose and mouth but I'm suspicious. I started with a severe headache.
Please advise
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

I understand your concerns.

Given the fever, GI symptoms, and elevated white el count, an recent exposure to the mice, there is risk of tularemia cause by the F tularensis a gram negative bacteria.

This can also be salmonellosis or salmonella infection.

Or this can be a UTI as well.

Good news, all these infections can be treated with same antibiotic like Ciprofloxacin.

Hence, I will suggest you to go back to the ER and get an antibiotic prescription.

Cipro dose should be 500 mg twice daily for 7 days.

Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the smiley faces) under this chat box only.
Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hello

The urine is not a clean sample.

vomiting can be for many reasons, including ulcer.

Your white count is high.

I would go back in.

OK, so that is an initial answer….

Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.