Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

I am a 22 year old female. About 7 weeks ago I performed

Customer Question

I am a 22 year old female. About 7 weeks ago I performed unprotected oral sex on a guy. As far as I know, I did not come in contact with any of his body fluids.
Two days later I got a servers sore throat. I tested negative for gonorrhea/clamydia but postive for group c strep which I understand is rare.
The guy also got a UTI within one week of the oral sex.
I was put on amoxicillin for the strep and the pain went away but one tonsil stayed very swollen. I gave it some time to see if the swelling would go down. I went back to the doctor yesterday with a lot of pain and some swelling in my salivary glands on the same side as the swollen tonsil.
I am freaking out that I somehow caught some serious bacterial or viral infection from the oral sex that has lasted for 7 weeks now. Any ideas what caused this or why I haven't gotten better? Or why we both got sick after the oral?
I had blood sent off yesterday to test for all stds.
Thanks in advance for answers. I am so stressed about this.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hello

No

I don't think you caught any serious STD.

What you need to be tested for is mono.

Mono acts just like this, and the strep C might have distracted your doctor from testing for mono.

OK, so that is an initial answer….

Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.