Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I'm sitting here with abdominal pain, Diarrhea, burping, a

Customer Question

Hello Doctor, I'm sitting here with abdominal pain, Diarrhea, burping, a fever of 101.2, and no vomiting or even nausea.
I was wondering if what I have described sounds anything like food poisoning? I just came back from a recent trip to Tijuana mexico. I didn't eat anything other then candy once I got over the border (yes....i made the mistake of eating it for breakfast). I ate the candy about 9am, went to work, and got come around 9pm (this was tuesday night). Now i'm just sitting here wondering how to get rid of the diarrhea and the fever. My fever keeps going up and down. Last night it went down to 98.9 but now it's back up.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

It may be that you have a case of gastroenteritis. This is most often a viral infection but can be bacterial infection of the GI tract...lower GI tract more likely as you don't have the vomiting that more often accompanies stomach lining irritation / infection.

I agree with trying the Pepto Bismol as this usually helps diarrhea and may help with many pathogens too. One dose after each loose stool up to 8 doses in a day ...

Replace fluids and electrolytes >> Gatorade - soups help...bland type diet ...mainly starch easier to digest ...

It may be food borne illness ...that would certainly be possible.

I would not as much suspect full blown food poisoning at this point but possible .. You would tend to have more vomiting ....

Red flag symptoms to watch for ---

1) severe abdominal pain such as increasing into tonight so you can't sleep ...especially if this plus higher fever >> in this case go ahead to ER and get checked ...more serious abdominal infection may be more a concern...

2) you treat fever but it worsens and say overv103.5 ...get it checked ...again just go to ER if abdominal pain plus high fever ....

(I'm looking to not have you needlessly overreact to moderate fever and moderate diarrhea illness that sounds more likely if type to clear in a few days

3) Either high volume watery diarrhea or diarrhea plus onset vomiting may lead to dehydration and you might then need support with IV fluids ...

4) bloody diarrhea develops and you should be checked at ER ( Pepto causes a chalky black color emerge with stool ...that is ok ...watch for blood or tarry looking stool however

5) symptoms of heart racing or pounding or feeling faint may be signs of dehydration and you should be checked if that occurs

Otherwise if you do not have above more serious scenarios just eat a bland diet and light meals and plenty of fluids ...Gatorade is great for diarrhea illness ...such illness usually runs its course over several days ...about 3 to 5 days typical

I hope that this information is helpful for you Let me know if you have further questions I will be happy to get back with you If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just to recap..I should just keep doing what i'm doing. by eating chicken soup, toast, bananas, so on and so fourth? I'm also using pedialyte to keep myself hydrated. as far as my fever goes (101.2 as of this message). I shouldn't worry about it till it goes over 102 then? and is Contact PM ok for the fever?

Hello again-

What seems to be the problem?

Hang on...response above was to different question...system doing weird stuff ...hold on. .

Hello again,

Yes the steps you describe sound fine. The contact product I believe has acetaminophen in it which should help with fever yes ...

So your Pedialyte / Contact / chicken soup/ keeping watch on symptoms >>> plan sounds fine!

Let me know if you have further questions or concerns. I'll be happy to get back with you! Best regards! Feel better soon!!

Also I agree with bland type food choices

Normal temp range is actually 98.6 plus or minus 1.3 degrees so fever only starts at 100.0 --- so I would not think mild fever currently warrants quite rush to ER ...hope to see this settle down ...seek medical follow up if worse of course ..

Take Care!!