Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I moved to Texas 10 years ago and my toenails have had

Customer Question

I moved to Texas 10 years ago and my toenails have had fungus almost from the day I arrived!
I've spent a small fortune on doctors and prescription medication...no improvement...none!
My latest doctor told me it's something I'll have to live with the res of my life?
PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! Something on the positive side to rid myself of this FUNGUS!
THANKING YOU IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR T^IMELY ADVICE
SINCERELY-LOVE-PEACE
Ray Sabbatis
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

there are several good treatments for toenail fungus

but you have to start with a proper diagnosis.

you have to submit a large toe nail clipping to a lab where they can test it for fungal nail infection.

have you submitted a large toe nail clipping to a lab for testing?

insurance companies will want this lab test on your toe nail before they authorize expensive medications like Sporanox (itraconazole) to treat toe nail fungus or onychomycosis.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

Hello

In fact, regardless of the fungus, many people have resistant fungus despite testing, multiple anti fungals, and it sounds like you have done this.

At this point, underlying conditions have to be consider, such as

Do you have diabetes

How is your immune system.

What is your diet.

Simply treating more and more is not adequate, and simply giving more topicals is almost never adequate.

Often one must go to an oral medication.

Even these results will be temporary if other factors are not addressed.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

ciclopirox topical antifungal has to be used for 48 weeks, which is close to a year and applied for more than 8 hours before you wash or bathe. you have to clean your nails every 7 days with alcohol and is used for immunocompetent patients only with trichophyton rubrum without lunula involvement of the nail.

Sporanox or itraconazole systemic pill is a better systemic treatment for toe nail fungus

have you tried this?