Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I lost my best friend a few months ago. i am not married. he

Customer Question

i lost my best friend a few months ago. i am not married. he was like my son. i keep thinking i could have saved him. he was with me for 15 years - did Hurricane Katrina volunteer work with me and basked in the attention of the HandsOn volunteers in Waveland and New Orleans. BTW, he wa a 15 lb tabby cat My huge question is whether to get another pet ... I have multiple sclerosi... don't want to endure such loss again, nor do I want to leave a beloved pet behind... btw - have a friend older than I [65 years] who just got a very expensive malteese puppy - what is she thinking [tho i will certainly take him if whe goes first]
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

There is no single correct answer to whether someone should get a pet. If you truly do not want to endure the loss of a beloved pet again nor leave a pet behind when you die, then that would seem to indicate that you should not get a pet, because one of these two situations will typically occur if you get another pet. However, the fact that you have posted this question suggests that you are ambivalent about the issue.

From a medical perspective, I can tell you that most 65 year old persons with multiple sclerosis will have an average life span longer than the average life span of dogs and cats. Of course, there are different types of multiple sclerosis, some of which are more aggressive, but most will have a survival longer than a pet.

So, it is more likely that you will have to endure the loss of a beloved pet, but that would also mean that you will have had years of love shared with that same pet. Only you can judge whether the years of love from that pet outweighs the pain of the loss of that love. And only you can judge whether the commitment of time involved in raising and training a new pet fits well with your current lifestyle.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.