Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

When I touch my right ribs it's very painful, this has been

Customer Question

Hi, when I touch my right ribs it's very painful, this has been on going for about a year. It can be very sore to touch at the base of the rib closest to my chest. Also it feels a little lumpy? It can be very sore and it worries me
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

thanks for requesting me.

you could be having long term chostochondritis inflammation of your ribs or cartilage.

you could have had a trauma to your ribs and a small hairline fracture of your ribs. bones and ribs can take many months and months to heal up often.

you should ask your doctor for a chest CT scan which can see the ribs in much more detail and check for hairline fractures.

you could have a bone spur growing out of your ribs pressing on the intracostal nerve which runs on the underside of your rib. a bone spur from the rib can cause it to feel a bit lumpy