Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I have a story of urinary tract infections, and I'm only 17.

Customer Question

I have a history of urinary tract infections, and I'm only 17. Once my infection clears up, I'm symptom free for a few weeks & I always take preventative measures, but symptoms often reappear. I go in to get tested for a repeat infection, but the urinalysis comes back with no sign of infection. My current primary care provider sees no issue and just tells me to come back in if symptoms persist, which they always do. I'm tired of my parents wasting money on an issue that won't go away, and I'm tired of being in pain and fear of another infection! Currently I am experiencing urinary frequency (urinating at least 20 times a day), abdominal bloating, a slight but constant burn in my vaginal area that intensifies when I urinate, and then I always feel like more urine needs to be passed immediately after urination. I drink at least 85oz of water a day, I take d-mannose and bee propolis & pollen daily, but neither natural remedies nor phramaceuticals seem to help in the long run. Please help!
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

several issues can cause urinary frequency. caffeine and alcohol metabolites can irritate the bladder and cause urinary frequency. you need to avoid caffeine and alcohol to help your bladder.

anxiety symptoms or excessive nervousness can cause nervous bladder symptoms and cause frequent urinary frequency.

if your urinary frequency symptoms continue, you should see a urologist and get a cystoscopy to look up into the bladder where they can check for bladder inflammation like from conditions like interstitial cystitis which can cause frequency

let me know if you have questions.