Dr. Abid
Dr. Abid, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS(R)
16766337

This past Sunday I started experiencing cramping on my right

Customer Question

This past Sunday I started experiencing cramping on my right side near my hip. I am on birth control and am in the first week of my new pill pack. The only thing is that the pain is sharper than normal menstrual cramps. Yesterday, the pain moved to my left side just inside my hip bone and the best way I can describe it is that it feels like a stitch type pain. It can kind of come and go, at times it feels truly horrible, at other times a little milder. I noticed it bothers me when I stretch/cough/sneeze or when I first stand up especially. Last night I had what I would classify as general abdominal tenderness, but the left side pain is still there this morning.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abid replied 1 year ago.

Hi there ...

As you mentioned you are on birth control pill , and cramping along with that moves underside the hip bone , that increases with stretching , coughing , this need evaluation to rule out the possibility of DVT ( Deep venous sthrombosis) as contraceptive pills increases the chances of DVT .

I will suggest you to have Doppler Ultrasonography of leg / thigh to rule out DVT .

Once ruled out , then no need to worry , simple Hydration , and pain killers will improve it .

Good luck .

Positive feedback will be appreciated .

Thanks .