Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

Kumar! Whenever i am around people say it smells bad and I

Customer Question

Hello Dr Kumar! Whenever i am around people say it smells bad and I can tell it is coming from my nose. I had septoplasty 10 months ago and the smell did not go away. I have tried neti pots, rinses, medicines, and nothing has worked. I suffer a lot because everyone i speak to covers their nose when i exhale. i noticed i have a small lump on my left nostril (above the ala of the left nostril) and it blocks my breathing. Normally I cannot breathe through the left because of this reason. also, ive noticed little balls like the size of the tip of a pen inside my nostril near the bottom. I had a CT scan that said i had a maxillary sinus Polyp or Cyst. Please help!! Could this smell come from the stomach? I have an umbilical hernia, if that helps.. Could it be from food? I swallowed a fish bone and it got stuck in my throat until I gulped it down by eating a banana. Please help ASAP. I am starting classes tomorrow and I dont want it to be a problem.
Thank you!
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello
This is not from an umbilical hernia.
It sounds like there is residual infection in the nose, or the sinuses.
You should be following up with ENT is this this regard.
As to if this is from the stomach, not unless you have small bowel disease, partial obstruction, or a stomach emptying problem.
These can be excluded from your doctor's exam and testing.
Gum disease, and poor diet can also contribute to this problem.
Have your dentist check your gums.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.