Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

I have cramps in lower stomach, every 30 mins watery

Customer Question

HI doctor, I have cramps in lower stomach, every 30 mins watery diarrhoea that is not getting pink/red and feel cold. Lower back pain and shoulder pain.
Category: Medical
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
typo - "that is now getting pink/red"
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have nausea. Start feeling dehydrated now so drinking water. The discomfort comes from the diarrhoea every 30 mins but mostly from the cramps. I feel cold too and the pain that I am mentioning in lower back and shoulder is also going to limbs.
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer,
Since when do you have diarrhea? Were any investigations done? Any treatment given?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It started about 12 hours ago with cramps and every 30 mins. Diarrhoea every morning since 2 /3 days but with no cramps. No investigations, no treatment.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I aplogize I guess I am not clear - the way it is now, with being cold and stomach cramps/diarrhea every 30 mins- since the last 12 hours. I have had diaarhea (but not watery!) every morning since 2/3 days.
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer,

You are likely suffering from an intestinal infection. A viral infection will usually cause a nonbloody diarrhea. But since you seem to be having blood in the stools presently this seems to be more likely due to a bacterial infection. Hence consulting a doctor and getting investigated and treated with antibiotics is required. Also since you are dehydrated and need re-hydration it is better to consult your doctor.

To avoid dehydration drink lots of liquids such as water, fruit juices (grape or pineapple) or clear soup. Oral “rehydration” drinks, such as Dioralyte or Gastrolyte, are also very helpful in supplying the fluid and salts you need. Initially start by drinking fluids that you like. But if diarrhea becomes severe or prolonged, then you can make a switch to “rehydration” drinks. Oral rehydration fluids must be taken according to fluid loss, usually 200–400 mL solution after every loose motion.

A good Home-made Rehydration Drink is:
• 1 LITRE OF WATER
• 1/2 TEASPOON BAKING SODA
• 1/2 TEASPOON SALT
• 3-4 TABLESPOONS SUGAR

So now go to the emergency and consult a doctor right away since you are having blood diarrhea and abdominal pain.

Take care.

Please rate my answer with a positive rating.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Doc thank you - but I ate tomatos last night. Are you sure the diarrhoea has blood?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer,
Thanks for your reply.
The change in color of stool can be due to the food that you ate or due to the blood. We don't know at present. The only way to know is to have the stool examination done. Hence need to see a doctor for the investigation and also since this most definitely will need antibiotics to treat the infection.
Take care.
Thanks.