Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have eaten a large amount of chocolate and now have the

Customer Question

I have eaten a large amount of chocolate and now have the shakes and cant sit still
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
If chocolate is the cause of shaking, it is due to chemicals that are similar to caffeine, called theobromine. It is generally less potent than caffeine, so people are less likely to develop symptoms from excessive chocolate.
However, when it happens, there are several interventions to consider. Obviously, the first issue would be stopping any further intake of chocolate or of any caffeinated beverages. For relief of symptoms, it may help to use a sedating antihistamine, such as diphenhydramine or meclizine. The elderly are more prone to the sedative effect of such drugs, so using half a dose would be a reasonable first step. If you develop any stomach symptoms, then it would be reasonable to try a liquid antacid. There are stronger medicines, but only available by prescription, so if these interventions are not effective, it would be appropriate to be seen.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.