DrHoellering
DrHoellering, Doctor
Experience:  Doctor of internal and general medicine self employed
61885400

Our 3 yr old son is having stomach? pains. They are sporadic

Customer Question

Our 3 yr old son is having stomach? pains. They are sporadic and last for 20-40 minutes at a time. Now on the 5th day. During the night at least twice and during the day. When they pass, he is wanting to eat, drinking plenty of water and playing as normal. then he goes into a quite mode and the pain is causing him to cry out while holding is belly button from both sides of is stomach.
Experiencing this in the day around once per 1-2 hours. Very distressing for both him and us to see him bent over and clearly in a lot of pain.
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrHoellering replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Hoellering and pleased to help you.
Did you find any connection with food he ate before? Gas in the bowels is often the reason for belly cramps.
Does he chew sufficiently?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi,He eats a variety of foods but we have not connected anything specific with the problem.He chews slowly anyway compared with our other children. No change there.We are thinking of cutting out gluten or dairy, one at a time to see if it helps?His appetite is still good. We don't give him sugury drinks but he does have watered down fruit juice.RegardsCarl
Gluten intolerance is a possible reason. Does he suffer from diarrhea frequently?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He does not suffer from diarrhea.
It will be quite difficult to find out what exactly triggers these cramps. But it is very likely that it is some gas in his bowels. I would try to give him fennel tea every day and see, if he still will get cramps. Dentinox infant colic drops may be helpful, too.
Since he is well again after a short time, there can't be inflammation or other dangerous issues.
I wish him a soon recovery!

You have read my last answer. I hope your son is better already. I there is one more question please let me know. Otherwise I thank you for hitting a positive rating button for my help. Thank you!